10 Healthy Ideas:
1. Drink water
2. Stop smoking
3. Walk after eating
4. Floss your teeth
5. Use the stairs
6. Play a sport
7. Take vitamins
8. Go dancing
9. One less cookie
10. Stretch daily
Reasons: Benefits of Physical Fitness
Being physically fit brings many significant health and monetary benefits, both to the individual and to
- About 950,000 Americans die of cardiovascular disease each year, which amounts to one
death every 33 seconds.
- Although heart disease and stroke are often thought to affect men and older people primarily,
it is also a major killer of women and people in the prime of life.
- About 61 million Americans (almost one-fourth of the population) have some form of cardiovascular disease.
- Coronary heart disease is a leading cause of premature, permanent disability among working adults.
- Stroke alone accounts for the disability of more than 1 million Americans.
- Almost 6 million hospitalizations each year are due to cardiovascular disease.
- In the US, 60% of the population has a weight problem.
- “Morbidly Obese” is clinically defined as being 100 pounds or more overweight. In our population,
the number of morbidly obese people is increasing every year.
The President's Council on Physical Fitness & Sports
The following activities are listed at
President's Challenge, a program of the President's Council on Physical
Fitness and Sports to encourage an active lifestyle. Any additional exercise is a step in the right direction!
Cross Country Skiing
Track & Field
Trap & Skeet
No excuses! No matter where you are:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida,
Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine,
Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada,
New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma,
Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah,
Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Get healthy in...
Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami,
Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, Houston, Minneapolis, Dallas, New Orleans, Mobile, Nashville,
Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Montreal, Toronto
...and all towns in between!